Friday, June 8, 2012

Getting It Right

It's another soft, misty morning here in Ocean Beach, where I'll be spending much of my summer--three days a week here and four in Vegas.

This trip, however, is for ten days, the express purpose of which is to provide uninterrupted time to complete editing on the first draft of, "Ring Of Roses," a novel that I and my co-writer have been working on for quite some time.

Editing--and more specifically self editing--is a huge part of the novel writing process. And, yes, I am fully aware of the tendency some writers have to over-edit, but I assure you that is not the case here. This is all about getting it right. If the foundation is crooked, the entire structure will be unsound.

When this draft is completed, I'll go back to the beginning and start anew with the goal of creating a final draft. And hopefully by summer's end we'll have a manuscript worthy of publication.

For those of you who don't know, "Ring Of Roses" is essentially a love story about two people caught up in a domestic terrorism plot. Both tender and taut, it details the resiliency of the human spirit when faced with insurmountable odds and indescribable evil.

Back to work!



No comments: