Friday, July 6, 2012

Marshmallows And Things That Go “Boom” In The Night


Ocean Beach is quiet on this morning after Independence Day.

The thickening marine layer drizzles its excess, watering vegetation, slicking the roadways and rendering yesterday’s carwashes frustratingly futile.

Outside of St. Arbuck’s two TV trucks with distended satellite uplink towers are parked in proximity to the massive community cleanup effort being waged against the mountains of marshmallows littering the main beach.

Yes, I said, “marshmallows.”

While no one is entirely certain when the tradition began, each year following the Ocean Beach Pier fireworks show, a massive marshmallow war is waged between several thousand participants.

And in honor of OB’s 125th Anniversary I decided to join in the festivities.

Well before the fireworks finale, the fight was on!

We started on the sand at the main beach by the pier with a crew of eight, including my daughter, her husband and several of their friends. But like an ever-growing amoeba we eventually spilled over onto the area around Abbot and Newport Avenues where those of us from the beach formed an ad hoc coalition to battle the guests of the Ocean Beach Hotel who were ensconced on the balconies mercilessly peppering all of us on the street.

They had the high ground...but we had—Tat, da, da, dah!!!—SUPER MARSHMALLOWS!

Those suckers were the size of my fist!

The ICBM’s of marshmallow fighting.

The Electromagnetic Pulse Weapon of sticky soldiering.

The Neutron Bomb of...okay, I’ll stop.

At some point I discovered that I had lost contact with our crew and there were only two of us left.

My aide-de-camp was a young, German tourist who had come along with another friend of my daughter’s.

We were a good team, scavenging the street for discarded ammo, passing it off to whoever was in the most strategic position at the time.

The most satisfying moment of the night came when I nailed a particularly arrogant and quite drunk bloke on the balcony right in the kisser. Knocked his head backward and dislodged his silly “gangsta” cap.

I may or may not have done a joy dance in the street.

Mein deutscher Freund was laying waste to any and everyone in his path. So effective were his throws that I eventually abandoned my own efforts entirely, turning my energies, instead, to the acquisition of ammunition for the rocket-armed foreigner.

So enamored was he with the experience, he vowed to take the tradition back to Germany with him.

At one point everything came to a dead stop as a massive “boom” filled the air and the sky to the south lit up with unusual intensity causing our surroundings to briefly take on the appearance of broad daylight.

We later learned the source of the illumination: San Diego’s famous Big Bay Boom, which was to be an eighteen minute fireworks extravaganza shot off from four strategically placed barges, went bust as all of the fireworks were triggered simultaneously through a technician’s glitch.

I wouldn’t want to be that technician.

The fifty thousand attendees were not amused. Not at all amused.

Back in OB, the "Battle Royale" resumed, enjoyed with good-natured civility by all.

We, however, had run out of ammo and, with arms hanging in limply by our sides, slogged through the tacky muck coating the streets and sidewalks and made our way back to my daughter’s house to await the return of our original crew.

I’m happy to report that we had no casualties save for the soles of our shoes, which had been rendered gummy, gooey horrors.

I’d do it again.

Only next time I’m bringing...a marshmallow shooter!

Oh yeah!





No comments: